Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thing 20~Libraries and Social Networks

I explored both MySpace and Facebook. MySpace seemed a little over the top for me. I wasn’t too crazy about the music on each page. I really felt out of place. I think it is more of a teenage place than anything. I have a friend who has a MySpace page but I still didn’t feel inclined to sign up. I did take a look at some of the library sites. I don’t think they fit in with our library image.

I did set up an account on Facebook. I joined the group 23 Things on a Stick and the Library 2.0 group. There were only 2 members before me, on the 23 Things on a Stick. The Library 2.0 group had over 5,000 members. I wrote on the wall a message about why I joined Facebook. Not really sure what will happen in the next week. I will continue to check my Facebook. I did invite some of my friends who have Facebook accounts.

As I explored through MySpace and Facebook, I understood why many schools have blocked them. I don’t see the Detroit Lakes School District opening these pages to students to explore during the school day. I can’t really see a place for our library on either. When talking with several of the students, in our district, they would not utilize these sites for educational purposes.

To be perfectly honest, I really don’t think I will spend a whole lot of time on Facebook or MySpace. They are not social networks that really interest me. I would rather be on a network like Ning or Library 2.0. Ning and Library 2.0 are much more professional sites and see to be more fit to my personality.

No comments: