Monday, March 2, 2009

Thing 32 ~ Google Maps and Mashups

I use Google Maps quite a bit. I use them when I am going to conferences and need to find the location. Sometimes the directions are really good and sometimes not so much. Google Maps and Google Earth are used a lot by the students in my district. Students are finding their homes and hunting land all the time. They are really into Google Maps. Teachers have their students create maps for social studies.
I tried all of the Google Maps Mania, Google Maps: 100+ Best Tools and Mashups, and 100 Things to do with Google Maps Mashups. I had the most fun with the one called "If I dig a very deep hole, where would I end up?" I choose my hometown, of Frazee, as the beginning point to start digging my hole. To see the results of my dig, you will have to click on my link.
http://map.talleye.com/bighole.php?lat=46.717268685073954&lng=-95.723876953125
I was unable to get the map to show up on the screen so I put the link on it.
Google Maps are really useful for classroom teachers, libraries and students.

No comments: