Monday, March 23, 2009

Thing 35~Book 2.0

I have accounts in both Library Thing and Good Reads. I find them interesting to see what other reviews are on the books that I have read and really enjoyed, as well as the books that I haven't enjoyed. I find that I will read a review before purchasing a book that I have considered reading, if the reviews are poor I reconsider purchasing the book.

Books on Your Phone

I did check out the site: Books in My Phone. Something that I wouldn't personally use. I don't have a cell phone which allows me to download books to my phone. I still like to hold the copy of the book in my hands for reading. For this part of the thing, this was the only part that I found I would not be able to use.


Readers' Advisory

I use two of these sites on a regular basis now: What Should I Read Next? and What's Next. They are sites that I highly recommend to students when they come in and say. I liked this book what would you say is a good book to read. Thanks to whomever pointed out these sites earlier this year. They are awesome.

Online Book Communities

Overbooked is a really valuable website to help get you started. I checked out the hotlist and the booklists part the most. I did bookmark this site to my Yahoo page for more research and continued use.

Book Group Resources

Reading Group Choice was the site that I looked over. I found some of the books that were already in my libraries collection. I like that it gives questions to start a book discussion. This is helpful if you are starting a book talk and am not sure which questions to ask or what things to really consider before the discussion.

Audio Books

Open Culture had a neat podcast on Twitter. There is much to look through and consider.

Book Swaps

Book Mooch was interesting. I typed in some of the more popular books to see if they were available. I find myself swamping books with friends or donating the books to my own library for others to read. I like the concept behind swapping books with fellow readers.

Book Reviews
The Complete Reviews had some neat reviews and had a place to send you to other locations with reviews. I like checking out the reviews for a book before purchasing it for my library.

Children's Books

Silly Book was neat that it sent you out to best links to teachers. I liked the games and additional ideas to do with books. Nice to find ideas to do with books without having to create everything all of the time.

Overall, this was a very worthwhile thing to spend time on. I appreciated the additional websites to check out for recommending books to my students. It makes my job easier which means a lot to a librarian with a busy schedule.

No comments: