Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thing 44~ The Economy

This thing is one that has directly impacted my family.  My husband has been unemployed for the last 4 months, with little end in site.  We have changed our spending considerably; we no longer do some of the fun things that we used to do such as eating out as much, going to a movie, or buying unnecessary items.  A year ago, when things started going bad, I secretly thought, there is no way this is going to hurt my family.  Boy was I wrong.  

I looked at the Clearcheckbook site and found lots of interesting things.  I found a place where you can set up your spending limits and explore your options for how to save money.  I didn't want to set up an account at this time.  I will come back to this site later to explore more of the options.

I looked through Craigslist.  I explored some of the jobs that are available in the Fargo/Moorhead area and some of the items that are for sale.  I got lost in some of the items and exploring this site.  I will not set up an account on this site because of the latest news with the Craigslist murders.  That has me a little nervous as to if I would send any information over the website.  

I looked through Feed the Pig site.  I like the 360 Degree of Financial Literacy.   I went through the Tax Information and the Retirement set up.  Interesting how much money a person will need for retirement if you want to live the same way or better.  I do have a lot of money to start saving.  I am not really a saver so this is something to think about and start doing.

Yard Sale Treasure Map was really interesting.  I have a yard sale buddy who likes to find the best deals in town and surrounding areas.  We like to plot our sales and get the best buys.  I did not find any sales for this weekend.  I will have to check it out for next weekend.  

U of M Extension Gardening Information was awesome.  I found lots of information on the best plants to buy and put in my garden.  My mom is an avid gardener so this is a sit that the both of us can use.  I really like the information that is available on the plants for Minnesota.  I gave this link to one of my teachers to use in her classroom for her plant unit.  She was really exited that the information was for Minnesota plants.  

The one that I got lost in the most was the Gardening Information.  My husband and I are setting up a garden in our yard.  I found the perfect plants to go in locations around our house.  I found plants for the shade and the sun.  This is an awesome site.  I will be going to the local garden center and start collecting my plants.  

No comments: