Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thing 45~ Cloud Computing

I have used Google Docs for a while now, since the 23 Things on a Stick.  I like that my documents are backed up and not lost.  Our server at the school had crashed and they had to go to the backup files and I lost a lot of information but Google Docs had saved the day.  I was able to go on my retrieve the files and save them to my staff file later on.  

I find that Google Docs is just awesome.  If you have a presentation out of town, you can have the documents on your Google Docs and ready to go.  I do use my flash drive for important information as a backup but it is really nice to have several backups.  I like to email my files to my hotmail account for another backup.  I didn't think that I was so into the Cloud Computing until I read the articles.  

I looked through the Web OS links.  I still find myself using my Yahoo account to link my favorite websites for access anywhere.  I have set up files for Teaching Materials, Library Websites, Professional Development, and Personal Sites (like Nascar, JcPenny's, Kohls, etc).  I like being able to access my favorites from any computer.  

The advantages of having Cloud Computing is mainly you can access your information from anywhere.  Does this mean your information is private?  No, it does mean that people who are really good at hacking into sites will get your information.  Does that make me nervous?  Yes and no.  I guess if the information really needs to be keep private you had better not put it on the web.  

The disadvantage is if you Internet is not working, your information is not available to you.  Do you need to plan ahead?  Of course, everyone should have backup because you never know when you are going to need it the most.  

No comments: